About the course
Prerequisites: Successful completion of Algebra 1. Completion of Geometry recommended.
In the book Restoring All Things, Warren Cole Smith and John Stonestreet state, “…we glorify [God] by learning of Him and His world. To learn is an act of worship.” In the words of Galileo Galilei, “Mathematics is the language in which God has written the universe.” Learning mathematics is a powerful way to worship God.
Algebra 2 will build upon the foundation laid in Algebra 1 and Geometry. It will prepare students for advanced courses in mathematics, science, and economics. Students will continue to build the life skill of algebraic thinking. They will continue to move from a concrete understanding of mathematics to abstract generalizations. Mathematics is more than numbers and equations; it encompasses logical, analytical, and creative thinking.
Topics covered will include linear functions, linear systems, matrices, quadratic functions, polynomial functions, exponential and logarithmic functions, rational and radical functions, and other advanced topics. The course will venture into trigonometry.
This 32-week course includes a weekly 1 hour 40 minute recitation session. Students will be required to watch CTC videos and complete practice questions before class so they are prepared for in-class discussions and activities. Grades will be based on homework, class participation, unit tests, a final exam, and short oral presentations each semester.
- Students will recognize that mathematics is a beautiful God-given resource.
- Students will continue to learn to think algebraically.
- Students will reinforce basic arithmetic skills and will continue to learn algebraic concepts.
- Students will apply mathematical concepts to real life situations.
- Students will discuss the algebraic concepts being learned.
- CTC Math online resource. Access provided through the instructor. Cost $30.00