This class is currently archived, but if you're interested in it being taught again, you can express your interest here!
06/13/2022 - 08/05/2022
0.5 credits in Electives
About the course
This is a course designed to teach students the process of handmaking books. From binding together pages of paper and creating a cover and spine students will learn a step by step way to make various types of books. Students will start with booklet binding and move to creating hardcover books with and without spines. The class requires cutting with a sharp box cutter or exacto knife as well as basic sewing for binding books. Students should create 4+ books by the end of class.
Students will watch a pre-recorded lecture prior to meeting in person on Friday.
- Students will be able to bind paper pages together.
- They will learn practical and more decorative stitches.
- They will learn to bind with and without tapes .
- They will create hardcover covers for the bound pages some with spines and some without.
- They will create book cloth to cover at least one book in fabric
- See Materials List
Book Resource (optional):
Resource Materials List
About the teacher
Kimberly Swait Kimberly is from South Florida and now lives in Moscow, ID with her giant husband and five children. She has homeschooled her children for 12 years and earned a B.F.A. in Painting from the University of Florida in 2001.