Speech and Debate
About the course
Speech and Debate introduces and acquaints the student with the skills and art of public speaking. The student will learn the theories and techniques involved in preparing a speech, the strategies involved in delivering a speech as well as the tactics of a formal debate. Students will be exposed to a variety of speech types including: personal introduction, testimony, informative, persuasive, demonstration, technological, Bible Study, individual and team debates, and a variety of impromptus.
This course is part of a dual enrollment program with Colorado Christian University. Students taking this course will potentially follow a modified academic calendar, and will also need to register with CCU (When registering, identify the courses being taught by Imago Dei Academy, and select those)
Students willing to accommodate a more rigorous academic schedule can receive a considerable discount on package courses. Schedule a free consultation with Kepler’s Academic Advisor for more details.
Speech and Debate is designed to:
- a variety of speech and debate types.
- Curtail the appropriate research for the specific speech type.
- Survey the historical and theological foundations of speech-acts.
- Lead students to deliver informative, persuasive, demonstration and a variety of specialized presentations.
- Connect effective speech delivery to pragmatic success.
- BJU Sound Speech: Public Speaking & Communication Studies, Student Edition