All Jane: Jane Eyre joins Jane Austen
About the course
A deep dive into England’s most celebrated female authors, this one-semester course is designed as a long walk through two 19th century novels, Pride and Prejudice (1813) and Jane Eyre (1847). From Jane Austen’s domestic social setting to Brontë’s vivid hardships among the Gothic moors, we will enjoy reading at a leisurely pace accompanied by a weekly reading journal, investigating cultural, social, and historical contexts along the way. Upon completing each novel, students will write an analytical essay, receiving feedback for rough and final drafts.
- Explore the lives of Jane Austen and Charlotte Brontë
- Understand the literary importance of each author
- Consider each work’s structure, style, theme, and purpose
- Recognize the use of figurative language, imagery, symbolism, and tone
- Explore the depths of these novels by reading in community